Here we go again.
The one day of the year when you feel like everyone has someone to love- but you- is right around the corner. The roses, candy, balloons, and mushy music is enough to make you wanna scream.
Valentine’s Day is the day when we typically celebrate romantic love between a man and woman. Husband and wife. Boyfriend and girlfriend. So if you’re single or if you wish you were single, it can be one of the most dreadful holidays, ever!
But it doesn’t have to torture you with thoughts of loneliness or hopelessness if you change the way you look at it.
Instead of looking at it as a romantic holiday for lovers only, look at it as a holiday that purely celebrates God’s love.
God’s love can be celebrated between you and God, family members, friends, co-workers, strangers or anyone who has a need. I’m sure you’re not the only one who dreads this day. If you put some thought into it, it should be easy to find others and make them feel special.
I challenge you to celebrate God’s love by choosing to do at least 1 item from each of the categories below:
Show love for God
- Sing praises to Him
- Write your own praise song, then sing to Him
- Spend more time with Him than your usual schedule allows
- Find a way to serve Him at church, a foster home for kids or a homeless shelter
- Share a testimony with your co-worker about something He has done for you
- Find a cause that you care about and donate or volunteer
Show love for others
- Throw a party for singles who are not in a relationship
- Pamper your single girlfriends at a home-based spa party
- Take treats (cake, candy) to an elderly person or a single family member
- Do something for an elderly person that they can’t do for themselves (drive them to an appointment, take them shopping, clean their house)
- Do something for a single mom that you wish someone would do for you (flowers, gift cards, take her to lunch)
- Bake goodies for kids or anyone else who has a sweet tooth
- Call your parents and or siblings and let you know how much you appreciate them
Show love for yourself
- Get a massage, pedicure or facial
- Get a complete makeover, then take yourself out to dinner
- Buy flowers and candy
- Try something new and totally out of your comfort zone
- Join a gym and start a new workout routine
- Have a professional photo shoot to remind yourself how beautiful you are
- Write 25 things that you love about you! If you have trouble coming up with them, ask your family and friends what they love about you
Valentine’s Day can be so much fun if you open your heart for true love that already exists within you.