- Pray for God’s will specifically for your life—not what your mother wants for you or what your best friend has been blessed with, but God’s plan for your life. God ordained marriage in Genesis 2 and it is not wrong for you to desire marriage. As long as your desire for marriage is not stronger than your desire for God, He wants to give you the desires of your heart.
1John 5:14 – 15 This is the confidence that we have in him: that if we ask anything, according to his will, he hears us and if we know that he hears us, we know that we have the petitions that we ask for.
2. Pray that God will teach you the meaning of real love and how to live it everyday—not just with a husband or boyfriend, but with everyone. The Hebrew word agape is defined as the highest form of love. If you can practice the highest form of love daily with others, you’ll have no problems practicing it within your marriage.
1Corinthians 13:4 – 13 tells us specifically what agape is. It is so much more than an adjective that describes a gooey emotional feeling. It is also a verb that most Christians take for granted.
One of the most embarrassing things is to see so-called Christians mistreating others. In fact, many people have turned away from organized religion because they found Christians to be mean and judgmental. But the Bible is clear on the subject: they won’t know we’re Christians by the cross pendant on our neck or the bumper sticker on our car.
John 13: 34 – 35 They’ll only know we are Christians by our love for others.
1 John 4:20 If anyone says, “I love God,” but hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.
3. Pray that God will teach you to be a wife–not just a woman. According to the scripture, you should already have a wife’s mentality when you are found by your husband. Just as there is a difference between a male who creates a baby and a father who takes care of the baby he created, there is a difference between being a woman and being a wife. Being a wife includes putting your husband’s needs before your own—even when you don’t feel like it. You must be selfless and learn to communicate on a big girl level. It is not always easy or glamourous, but it is rewarding. Pray that God teaches you to be a wife and that he will put Godly examples of wives in your life to mentor you.
Proverbs 31:10-31 Who can find a virtuous and capable wife? For her worth is far above rubies….
Proverbs 18:22 He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from God.
4. Pray that God will remove anything and anyone who is not in His plan for you. I talk to many women who are trapped in relationships that are not ordained by God. They decide they’re going to make them work if it’s the last thing they do. Sometimes it’s a relationship with an unbeliever or someone who disappoints them over and over again. Deep in their hearts, they know that it can’t possibly be God’s will. You should pray that God will stop the wrong relationship before it starts. And if it has already started, pray that He will give you the strength to walk away.
Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans of a man’s heart, but it’s the Lord’s purpose that prevails.
Psalm 119:133 Order my steps; let no sin rule over me.
Proverbs 16:9 The mind of man plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps.
5. Pray that God would give you wisdom. Whether it’s being in the right place at the right time or simply smiling when you’re approached, you need God’s direction. He will never guide you wrong.
James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God who gives to all….
6. Pray that God will help you to get cleansed from your past and stay cleansed so that you can be free to love the right way. If you’ve had a broken childhood or a few bad relationships, you could unknowingly be living your life through those experiences.Before you spend time evaluating others, you should evaluate yourself. You may be infecting your relationships with bitterness, control or fear. Trying to build new relationships while carrying the residue from our past is like travelling with 500 pounds on your back. Not only would it slow you down, but it won’t take you long to break down from fatigue and soreness. The only real way to move forward is to do it without baggage.
Philippians 3:13 – 14 ….. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
7. Pray that God will give you courage to have sex His way. If you currently struggle with lust, fornication or porn, the chances are great that you will continue to have those struggles after marriage. Marriage is not a cure all for discipline or self-control issues. God created sex between husband and wife and he honors it that way. With His help, you can too.
Hebrews 13:4 (MSG) Honor marriage, and guard the sacredness of sexual intimacy between wife and husband. God draws a firm line against casual and illicit sex.
8. Pray that God will help you to remain focused on Him, regardless of your relationship status. You need God more than you need anyone else. Though it’s nice to have companionship, nothing or no one can fill the craving that we have for a relationship with our creator. God would never want us to enjoy His gifts more than we enjoy Him because that is a form of idolatry.
Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.