Last year, the world watched as Meghan Markle became a real life princess; complete with a horse, carriage, and most importantly, a prince.
Every girl loves a good love story.
It was fun and intriguing to watch their love story unfold, almost daily, on media outlets.
But as I sat and watched the royal wedding, the counselor in me couldn’t help but wonder if she was really prepared to manifest her happily ever after or is she just another bride who had invested everything into the wedding day and very little into the ever-after? Would it turn into another case of I do, not?
No, I’m not bashing Meghan. I’m happy for her and I really hope it works out for her and the prince.
But honestly, not even royals are exempt from marital problems. We saw that with Prince Harry’s parents who had a royal divorce after 11 years of marriage.
As beautiful as weddings are, they are only the beginning. After the one-day festivity, a life time of blood, sweat, and sacrifice must be yielded in order to make the marriage work.
If Meghan wants a real happily-ever-after, here’s what she needs to know:
- The prince cannot make her happy. Happiness is a choice that starts within.
- Titles are wonderful, but they mean nothing behind closed doors. In public, she may be “Her Royal Highness,” but at home, she’s a wife, mother, and friend. Those titles come with totally different responsibilities.
- She can’t mold the prince into something she wants him to be. She has to accept him the way he is. If he changes on his own, perfect. If not, she has to live with that.
- She doesn’t have to compete with the prince. There’s enough work for both of them to do and it will all get done if they play their roles.
- Couples don’t drift apart over night. It happens gradually- one misstep at a time.
- Self-awareness is the key to getting her needs met and meeting the prince’s needs.
- Vulnerability is key to creating an emotional bond.
- The prince may be powerful in his domain, but he still can’t read minds. Open and honest communication is even more powerful.
- Practicing self-care makes you a better wife. At the end of the day when the tiara comes off, you need to recharge before putting it back on again.
- Even though the world may think the prince is perfect, you will know the truth because, you’ll have a front row seat to witness ALL of his weaknesses. And you have to love and respect him anyway.